Monday, June 7, 2010

Happy Birthday Jake!

June 7

Jacob is my oldest brother...I was so young went he left home I have few memories of him.


1. He loves lightning storms. It seemed the best monsoon storms would show themselves at night. Jake would wake me up and he and I (plus Jena & Jordan) would watch the lightning light up the sky. 


2. I was really sad when Jacob was leaving on his mission. We went outside and watched the clouds go by as we laid side by side on our trampoline. We talked of the future and how I was going to miss him while he was gone. He did his best to console me...


3. Jake was actually the person who baptized me! I was only one in my family who had an option. I was happy to be his first baptism.


4. Jake & Shan drove all the way down to Lake Tahoe from CA to pick me up so we could spend the weekend together. Jake is one of the fastest drivers I know, besides Dad and myself! ; )


5. While living in Provo, I remember receiving an early morning phone call. It was Jake! His timing couldn't be more perfect. I was in need of some brotherly counsel. 


6. Jake & Shan drove all the way from Texas for my wedding. I am so glad they came, although I was disappointed we didn't get to spend a lot of time together. Once again, Jake came through...I was frazzled {to say the least} on my wedding day. My spirit seemed unsettled. As I drove to where they were staying to pick up my Mom, I decided I needed a blessing. Jacob bestowed the most beautiful blessing. I will never forget it...


Among all these memories, I admire Jake for his amazing ability to write. Words are his medium. I try to write as he does...


Oh and I can officially thank Jake for creating the most nicknames for me: floppy, beefy, fatty, beans...I'm sure there's more. 


With all that said...I am glad I was able to remember my eldest brother. Once again...Happy Birthday Jake!

No comments: