Sunday, August 21, 2011

A New Adornment...


Our neighbors have this poster identical to ours...in fact they have the original...with their last name "Baird" written in the banner. Their sister recently moved here to go to school, an art major, she free-handed various beards for the Baird's. Of course we thought it was hilarious and begged her to make one for us, although the play on words doesn't cater to our last name, we still love it. It is kind of a tribute to the many beards of Tommy... 




In other news:
Our projected departure date was recently pushed back up to April 2012 due to our lack of residency status at a local community college. We're still at BYU-H, but Tommy was going to double time it at Windward Community College to pick up some pre-med pre-reqs. After rounds of discussion with their lack luster admissions staff we decided to throw in the towel. As planned, we will be graduating together in April...and then it'll be Aloha Oe to us. 


Have you ever been homesick and away-sick at the same time? I'm not really homesick, let's face it, as long as I have Tommy I'm fine anywhere {aka the co-dependent wife syndrome}. As of late I have been missing the family get-togethers like crazy, missing my niece, Navy, that was born literally right after we got here, taking Grandma Doris to breakfast, those kinds of things. It doesn't help that I crave Chipotle on a weekly basis or when Tommy brings up Tia Rosa's or Matta's. Arizona sings to my heart and it will always be my true home. 


While on a walk yesterday evening, I couldn't help but be awestruck at the beauty and magnificence of the ocean. Watching the endless waves rolling in, we perched ourselves on a piece a driftwood that washed ashore Temple Beach. Although we rarely visit this beach, it was a perfect setting for an evening talk or lack of talk, as I sat and reflected on how much I am going to miss our chapter in Laie, Hawaii. To think, we will no longer have an all access pass to paradise seems unfathomable. I've dearly missed this island once...and I can just feel I am going to miss it even more this time around. 


As they say, you are either moving forward or standing still. Our future is yet to be determined as we are still weighing our two options, but we know we could be moving on to just about anywhere! The West coast, the East coast, even the Mid-West...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

No doubt, Tommy's beards are famous the world over. And my vote is for the Midwest, you know which part!

Anonymous said...

New adventures-- always a bit scary but definitely exciting! I hope you guys enjoy yourselves in Hawaii! And I love the beards. What a delightful poster!

Tanya Rasmussen said...

Your writing never ceases to amaze me! Maybe it's just because I can hear you speaking as I read this. I miss you sister! I find secret joy in the fact that you will be leaving in April. Really though . . . the family stuff looses it's luster pretty quick. I now get that deep down in my stomach heart sick feeling whenever I see something Hawaii related. Bask in the island's glory please. Oh and try to come to school in Utah okay? Okay.

Dallan and Ashley said...

First off amahzing beards! Second gurl I wish I was in Paradise and I agree that home is where your family is (you and Tommy). We all miss you over here! Navy definitely needs aunt Jose in her life. I sometimes get an overwhelming wind of Jozie missing it's making me teary as I think of it! April 2012 is right around the corner I can't believe it! Enjoy paradise island while you can! Love you!

A. Verzello said...

Tommy is a master of the beard! I never would have guessed. I second Rod + Tan's comment--you should def come to Utah next! I'm missing the islands pretty hard right now, and I'm disappointed we didn't get to spend that much time together while I was there, because you guys are awesome (BYU-H, I blame you). Enjoy your last nine months in paradise.