Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Our First Date.

{Note to Self}

I met Tommy in November at a Copeland concert—thanks Jessbabe for introducing us! But it wasn’t until after the New Year that Tommy and I really started getting to know each other. It was about mid January when Tommy asked me on my first date. I had just returned from a late run when I heard my phone ring, “Tommy”. It just so happens that I was searching for something underneath my bed at the same time, so as we were talking I was kneeling over my bed fiddling with my comforter. All the while, I thought it odd to be getting a phone call on some random Wednesday night from my new friend. It turned out to be the best phone call of my life! He started to explain that he had tickets to the Lion King and wanted to see if I was able to join him. I played it cool by squealing about how much I have always wanted to see that play. It was official—we were to go on our very first date to The Lion King. Afterwards, I stayed put on the floor of my room for a few moments internalizing what just took place. I was genuinely happy.

Once I made sure our call had disconnected I ran into our living room to find Kristin, my roommate, as I was literally JUMPING for JOY that my guy friend just asked me on a date. With a grin from ear to ear I explained the glorious phone call I just received. She was equally excited for me knowing that Tommy was probably the second boy to ask me out since my move back to Arizona in 2008! My dating life has always been far and few between, especially with boys that I was truly interested in. Tommy asking me out was nothing short of a miracle in my world.

The evening of our date I had to work late so I met Tommy at his house in Mesa. Our conversations flowed naturally; we talked of music, friends, family, etc. Both of us recall feeling at ease and as if we were with an old friend that we’d known forever. What a relief? Our date fell on a school night so we said our goodbyes with a hug at my car. Perfect.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Before Tommy came along I felt my dating life was hopeless. On the other hand, I had the rest of my life ahead of me, so I never stopped living. I invested time in myself, in soccer, in work, and in the few friends I had. However, there were times I would find myself seeking comfort from my Mom. She would calm the worries I had of ever finding someone, the one. This was a cycle, whose rotations were constant. Then I met Tommy…

Tommy intrigued me. He was quiet yet sarcastic (which I needed). He was often in the background, teasing my curiosity. His interest in me seemed apparent yet careful. From then on our relationship unfolded right before our eyes. Tommy only betters my life. Tommy only betters me.

One must always look back from where they came to see how far they have come. I must never lose sight of that, or of him.
I love you Tommy.

{she}

3 comments:

Stacey said...

joz, sounds like life really smiled on you when you met tommy...just waiting for the same smile to find me :) i'm so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

i love you two.

AudyCamp said...

Aw Jozie...I love true love stories. :)

That was fun to picture you jumping up and down!

{Did you know our first date was a play too? hmmm....must be a precursor to marriage with Curtis'?}