Friday, September 17, 2010

Life is a roller coaster...



{note to self}


You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.


As of late I've been riding the BYU-Hawaii Admission Roller Coaster!! On Sunday I visited with my stake president {who happens to be the head of admissions at BYU-H} to get my ecclesiastical endorsement for my application for Winter semester. 


During our meeting he asked "Why don't you attend school during the Fall?" Of course I reply with positive sentiments--if it would truly be possible. He signs my endorsement and sends my on my way with a gleaming hope that I could start school in THREE days! 


He instructed me to visit his assistant on Monday to make sure we could get everything in order so we could get the ball rolling. 
The first bump. His assistant immediately developed a distaste for me. Why? To her, I was a lazy, irresponsible student who was trying to claw, scratch and bite her way into Fall semester -- LATE! She put up with me and said she would work on getting my transcripts reviewed ASAP. 


In the meantime, I was checking the status of my application on besmart.com every 5-10 minutes. No change. Still no change by Tuesday afternoon. I decided I needed to double-check so I paid my friend a visit. She greeted me with "I remember the face, but not the concern." {like I was a waste of her time}. Then she reassured me with a "Don't count on it for Fall, we're bulging this semester." GREAT, THANKS!!! 


All of this seemed so opposite from what the President was telling me on Sunday. ALAS, Thursday morning I received a voicemail from the President himself asking me if I was still interested in attending school in the Fall?!!! WHY YES, YES OF COURSE! I WAS ADMITTED! Later that day I visited the registrars office to try and register for classes. No luck and they sent me BACK to my nemesis at admissions. 


As soon I as I walked up to her desk she said, "You're Back! Hahaha just kidding." {like I was her worst nightmare}. She told me to wait until the next morning because "when we do things last minute, they still take time." The system should update in the morning and you can register for classes then. 


FINALLY, the assistant took great pleasure in calling me this morning to deliver the unwanted news. "You were actually admitted for Winter, not Fall and you've already been downloaded in the system for Winter and there is nothing we can do to change that. I don't have the authority to make those changes and today is the last day to register for classes. I'm sorry." 


What goes up, must come down.

Since Sunday I have gone from having the hopes of being admitted for Fall, to "Don't count on it," to "Are you still interested?!," to "I'm sorry I don't have the authority." {to sum it up}.

It was hard to be let down the first time, but now I'm just mad. I was banking on that phone call from the President. You know? Who wouldn't have? I mean you think you're in like flint when he personally calls your cell phone on a Thursday morning, right? 

Everything happens for a reason. Prayers are answered in one way or another. Call it a roller coaster a teeter-totter or just plain life. I'm experiencing motion sickness from the emotional whiplash!

I'm thankful for Tommy and the Jude who heard the choice words I wish I could've shared with my "high-horse assistant" friend. I never lost my cool in public and I'm annoyed that I  can't be more patient with this whole situation! 

BUT all in all, I am admitted for Winter--FOR NOW! I have always wanted to get my degree {thanks to Jena for never giving up on pushing me in that direction}. One day...

1 comment:

AudyCamp said...

FRUSTRATING!! Annoying that you were given that false hope. I'm so sorry.. Hopefully things can still work out & they can "unbulge" & let you in!